Dating in Oxford
Oxford, known as the seat of learning – a multicultural place where the flower of youth go to study, party or simply enjoy its spacious and quiet streets. This ancient city has all the romantic temptations you need from slow romantic walks along the river, to a lively nightlife.
From academia to eccentricity, the city of dreaming spires is bustling with students and working professionals from all walks of life, all of which helps create a unique dating scene. So, if you’re into old-world architecture, unmatched history and a vibrant social scene, why not immerse yourself in our Oxford dating guide.
Oxford date ideas
With its cavernous campuses, riverside walks and romantic parks, Oxford has a wealth of fantastic options for daters looking to get to know each other. Here are some of our Oxford date ideas to help get you started.
- For some laughter with extra resonance, visit Oxford’s Ice Rink. It’s a great ice-breaker and will give you both plenty to laugh about over a drink afterwards.
- Try the Covered Market for some retail therapy. Enjoying perusing the artisan goods and high-quality fresh produce. After that, you could head to Moo-Moos for a delicious milkshake.
- Tour one of the many colleges. You might be a resident – but they’re easy to take for granted, so take your date on one of many Oxford university tours.
- What better way to enjoy the sights of Oxford than by taking a punting trip. Have a look at this Guide to Punting in Oxford to find out the dos and don’ts.
- Take in some history by taking a walk up Carfax Tower. This 14th Century building offers great views of the city, and is a great budget option for a date.
- Enjoy a stroll down Magdalen College’s Addison’s Walk, and follow in the footsteps of luminaries such as, C.S Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Oscar Wilde and T.E. Lawrence.
Romantic restaurants in Oxford
No matter whether you want a bustling eatery for a casual date, or a classy restaurant for something more intimate, Oxford has numerous establishments that fit the bill. Here’s our selection of romantic restaurants in Oxford that’ll make your mouth water.
- Visit The Perch on Binsey Lane. Located along the Thames Coast Path, a date in Oxford would be incomplete without a visit to this 17th century pub. We recommend the Butcher’s Board of smoked goose and ham hock terrine!
- For a quick food-fix before heading out for a late night, try the Red Star Noodle Bar on the Cowley Road, offering scrumptious bento boxes and noodle soups.
- Pop into the Cherwell Boathouse on the Thames. Its idyllic name says it all: This riverside venue offers the quintessential Oxford date.